Microsoft’s presence in Georgia is growing. In addition to our new Atlantic Yards campus, we’ve announced plans for a new datacenter region with a presence in Douglas and Fulton counties, and the purchase of a 90-acre parcel of land to house a future campus on the westside of Atlanta in Grove Park. We want to create a positive impact as an active partner in the Atlanta community. From setting aside 25% of our expansion site for facilities that benefit the community to creating programs that aim to close opportunity gaps and partnering with the many historic universities in the area – we are excited to work hand in hand with local organizations and community groups in Atlanta to ensure Microsoft and the city thrive.
Atlanta campus project
Microsoft is in the master planning stages for its new campus on a 90-acre parcel of land on the west side of Atlanta in Grove Park. To ensure the plan addresses local business and community needs, while still aligning with the local culture, Microsoft has created a Community Advisory Council that will work alongside the Master Planning Team. The council will provide diverse perspectives of nominated individuals that will help to inform a strategic master plan for the new campus that’s centered on supporting the local community.
We’re taking a listen-first, community-driven approach to our growth in Atlanta. Microsoft’s priority is to generate positive, local impact. We are working closely with leaders from government and civic organizations in Atlanta, alongside our Master Planning Team, our Community Advisory Council and residents of the local community to:
- Ensure we understand and respond to local needs as we plan for jobs, programs, infrastructure and community spaces.
- Achieve the first goal from our listen-first, community-driven process: to set aside 25% of the site for key residential construction needs, like infrastructure and affordable housing.
- Enable people with digital skills through Microsoft’s own skilling programs and our partnership with the Georgia University System.
A community-first approach to master planning means designing alongside community members. As part of the planning process, we will be hosting community workshops to listen to and learn from members of the Grove Park neighborhood and surrounding community.
Master Plan Workshop 1 – June 11, 2022
Master Plan Workshop 2 – Fall 2022
Master Plan Workshop 3 – Winter 2023
Microsoft’s expansion in Atlanta
About Atlantic Yards
Located in the heart of the Midtown in the Atlantic Yards complex, one of Atlanta’s most vibrant and bustling neighborhoods, the Atlantic Yards campus is close to public transportation stations, key Microsoft customers and partners, premier dining and shopping, and a handful of Georgia colleges and universities, making it a prime location to both engage with Atlanta’s community and access the city’s offerings. Further, the campus is adjacent to Atlantic Station, a neighborhood known as a top innovation district and an up-and-coming technology hub.
The facility has been designed to reflect local design elements and incorporate the surrounding outdoor areas into work and community spaces, perfect for promoting the Atlanta art and music scene.
- Feb. 11, 2021 — Microsoft will establish its next U.S. datacenter region in Georgia’s Fulton and Douglas Counties
- Feb. 11, 2021 — Investing to grow in and with Atlanta
- Nov. 9, 2020 — Igniting the soul of real estate in Atlanta
- July 1, 2020 — Microsoft and the city of Atlanta lead coalition of partners to close the digital skills gap and build a more inclusive workforce
- May 15, 2020 — Governor Kemp announces Microsoft Corp. to expand presence in Atlanta with 1,500 new jobs, new facility
- Accelerate: Atlanta — access free training, learn new skills and accelerate your career
- Construction continues on the site, but our signs are officially on the building. The phased occupancy will begin in fall of 2021 with completion in early 2022.
For press questions about Microsoft’s vision to grow with and in Atlanta, please email [email protected].
If you are a supplier looking to get involved with Microsoft’s construction and facilities efforts, please email [email protected] regarding your proposal.
If you are an organization looking to partner with Microsoft or contribute to our listening tour as the site plans are developing, please complete the form at aka.ms/community_requests to contact our community engagement committee.
Microsoft is committed to expanding our presence in Atlanta with world-class environmental sustainability in mind. If you have proposals or considerations related to this area, please complete the form at aka.ms/community_requests to contact our community engagement committee.
Individuals interested in pursuing a career with Microsoft may apply online at ms/AtlantaCareers.
The health and safety of our guests, customers and employees are top priorities for Microsoft. At this time, on-site tours of our Atlantic Yards facilities are unavailable in adherence with Microsoft’s COVID-19 protocols and guidance from local health authorities. Once our location is able to welcome back all employees, we will begin offering limited on-site tours for community leaders.