Empowering people and organizations to share and use data more effectively
Sharing data can help address some of society’s biggest challenges and help individuals and organizations be more innovative, efficient, and productive. Today, however, it is often difficult to determine how best to share data from both a legal and technical perspective. To help make it easier for individuals and organizations to share data, we’re offering a set of draft agreements for consideration by the community, each designed to address a specific data sharing challenge. We look forward to improving these agreements with feedback and taking additional steps to help make it easier for individuals and organizations to share data with confidence.
Backgrounder & FAQ
Questions or need additional information? Read more about our perspective on data sharing licensing and governance.
Data Use Agreements
Open Use of Data Agreement (O-UDA)
Computational Use of Data Agreement (C-UDA)
Data Use Agreement for Open AI Model Development (DUA-OAI)
Data Sharing Projects
Answer ALS is the single largest collaborative ALS research project working to build a comprehensive collection of data on people living with the disease in an effort to help researchers discover a cure
The Open Data Initiative provides a platform for a single, comprehensive view of business data for analysis
In April 2019, Microsoft committed to hosting the world’s leading environmental data sets on Azure to accelerate the work of grantees and researchers around the world
Find links to resources that support open data and data sharing.
Licensing, Governance, and Legal Tools
- Creative Commons licenses
- The Linux Foundation’s Community Data License Agreement licenses
- Open Data Commons licenses
- DataSAR: Data Sharing Agreement Repository
- The OBO Foundry’s Data Use Ontology
- Microsoft Azure Open Datasets
- Microsoft Research Open Data
- Awesome Public Datasets
- BotSpeak Database
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Harvard Dataverse
- Open Data on GitHub
- Open Images
- Open ML
- Quora list of datasets
- Stanford Large Network Dataset Collection
- Udacity Self-Driving Car Dataset
- University of California-Irvine Machine Learning Repository
- Wide World Importers Sample Database
- “Microsoft invests $1 billion in OpenAI, vows to build AI tech platform of ‘unprecedented scale’.” Bishop, Todd. GeekWire, July 22, 2019.
- “The University Health Network leverages Microsoft Azure and AI to bridge the gap between cancer research and treatment.” Peesker, Kevin. Microsoft News Center Canada, July 9, 2019.
- “DoD’s Joint AI Center to open-source natural disaster satellite imagery data set.” Johnson, Khari. VentureBeat, June 23, 2019.
- “Opinion: For a Longer, Healthier Life, Share Your Data.” Miner, Luke. New York Times, May 22, 2019.
- “Rebuilding an icon: a call for the sharing of data to help restore Notre Dame.” Dedezade, Esat. Microsoft News Centre Europe, May 20, 2019.
- “Technology can help doctors spend more time with patients, Health Secretary told, as UK embraces AI in healthcare.” Dedezade, Esat. Microsoft News Centre UK, May 7, 2019.