New Delhi, 17th October, 2013: Microsoft Corp. today announced the global availability of Windows 8.1, a feature-rich update to its popular Windows 8 operating system, enabling customers to create experiences that keep pace with their lives – at work, at home or on the go. Beginning today, consumers with a Windows 8 device can download the free update via the online Windows Store. Over the next few weeks and months, Windows 8.1 will also be available on new devices at retail locations.
Windows 8.1 evolves the Windows vision for highly-personalized computing while showcasing Microsoft’s continued commitment to rapid and responsive development. It marks a wave of new, innovative devices coming for consumers and businesses – from the convenience and mobility of tablets and 2-in-1s to the productive experience expected from laptops and all-in-ones. Many of these new devices are touch-enabled and will deliver advancements in processing power, battery life and design, across a range of price points.
Speaking about the launch of Windows 8.1, Mr. Amrish Goyal, General Manager – Windows Business Group, Microsoft India said, “Windows 8.1 comes within a year of Windows 8, reiterating the fact that Microsoft is constantly listening, learning and evolving to enhance user experience. Windows 8.1 builds on our vision for mobility and touch-firs, bringing together everything you do across all devices whether at home, at work or on the go”.
Windows 8.1 offers a host of increased customization refinements, functional improvements and new innovation including:
- Highly personal. An improved and more customizable Start screen with variable tile sizes, more background designs and colors so that each Windows device will look completely unique and personal to the individual. In addition, customers can choose how to start their Windows experience – at the Start Screen or directly in the familiar Windows desktop.
- More familiar and easy to navigate. As an iconic part of the Windows experience, Windows 8.1 brings back the Start button as a familiar point of navigation. An All Apps view lets users see all of their apps at once for easy access and new clicks and cues as well as a Help and Tips app that get you up to speed quickly.
- Enhanced Search. The new Bing Smart Search provides the easiest way to find anything on the device or on the Web in one beautiful and easy consolidated view. Simply swipe or type from the start screen and Smart Search will find it– whether it’s a document on your PC, a photo album in the cloud, a favorite app, or a website.
- Wide range of apps and services from the Start. Windows 8.1 is the most complete out-of-the-box experience. It offers a range of apps and services that are available from the Start screen, allowing customers to quickly and easily do the things they love on Windows, including video chatting via Skype, effortless email in the Mail app, writing a proposal with Office. And Windows 8.1 comes with the new Internet Explorer 11 (IE11), which is fast, fluid and the only browser designed from the ground up for touch devices.
- The best for multi-tasking and productivity including displaying and using up to four apps side by side, flexible windows sizing for each app on the screen, the ability for one app to launch another app and improved multi-monitor support allowing users to view the desktop or apps from the Windows Store on any or all monitors.
- Deep cloud integration with SkyDrive, making it easier than ever to work from anywhere and know that your files are always accessible – across devices and locations. With SkyDrive Smart Files, users can create, edit, save and share files anywhere, anytime, on whatever device is being used.
- A beautifully redesigned Store. The new design of the Windows Store improves how great apps are showcased and makes it easier to get the apps you want. Fresh layouts and categories such as ‘New & Rising’ make it easier to stay up-to-date on the hottest new entries to explore. Personalized recommendations use Bing’s advanced recommendation and relevance system help you find new favorites. And with Windows 8.1, apps are updated automatically by default, so you always have the newest and best version of any app. New apps are also continually being delivered to the Store by popular developers including Evernote, Facebook for Windows 8.1, Hulu Plus, Adobe Photoshop Express, eBay, Netflix and NOOK.
About Microsoft Corporation India Pvt. Ltd.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software for personal and business computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services designed to empower people through great software – any time, any place and on any device. Microsoft Corporation (India) Private Ltd is a subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation, USA. It has had a presence in India since 1990 and currently has offices in nine cities – Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi and Pune.
For more on Microsoft India:
Log onto: www.microsoft.com/india/msindia
Follow us on: www.twitter.com/MicrosoftIndia
Follow us on: http://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftIndia
To know more about Windows 8, please visit: