New Microsoft competition celebrates innovative educators in Middle East and Africa

Educators attend Microsoft Educator Exchange

As digital transformation continues to transform every aspect of society, the role of educators to equip students with skills needed to succeed in the future world of work is vital.

Innovation and technology are playing increasingly crucial roles in classrooms across the Middle East and Africa (MEA), as educators embrace modern learning methods to empower students with digital skills.

To help and inspire educators, Microsoft will host the 6th annual Education Exchange (E2) event in Sydney on 23 – 26 March, 2020. E2 brings together selected Microsoft Innovative Educator Experts from around the world to collaborate on projects with peers who are equally enthusiastic and ambitious in their use of technology for learning.

According to Yves Khalil, Academic Programs Lead at Microsoft MEA, the region boasts thousands of innovative educators committed to digitally transforming their classrooms not only to increase efficiencies and modernise the learning process, but to train students in tools that will help them succeed in the future.

“The innovative use of technology in education stemming out of this region deserves to be part of the celebration, but we know it’s a big journey,” he says. “That’s why Microsoft MEA is inviting educators to participate in the regional E2 competition, Your #Road2E2, where they could win the opportunity to attend the global exchange in Sydney.”

Winners of the Your #Road2E2 competition will join global leaders in education technology to participate in hands-on workshops and discussions on key topics surrounding education transformation. They will also gain fresh insight into technology for teaching, learning and administration and share proven strategies to drive more effective learning outcomes across their systems.

Innovation that works

You might remember the story of Ghanaian teacher Richard Appiah Akoto, who became a social media sensation after he posted pictures of himself painstakingly sketching out a mock-up of a Microsoft Word interface on his classroom blackboard so his students could learn digital skills even without devices.

Microsoft was so inspired by Richard’s determination to help his students learn digital skills, that the company invited him to join nearly 400 educators at the 2018 Microsoft Educator Exchange event (E2). “Participating in workshops and discussions with educators from other parts of the world helped me learn new tips and tricks to help my students learn about technology,” Richard says. “I was so excited to go back home and apply what I’d learned.”

There are many teachers in MEA like Richard, who are working hard to incorporate 21st century learning into their classrooms in creative and original ways, despite facing many challenges.

In fact, seven Microsoft Innovative Educator Experts from MEA who attended last year’s E2 event were recognised as members of the winning teams. Saudi Arabia’s Wejdan Alfaraj (Team 45 – overall winner), Saudi Arabia’s Ibrahim Aljabri (Team 46 – 1st place in Creativity), Kenya’s Ronald Kibet (Team 44 – 1st place in Collaboration), Israel’s Zorit Varmaz Jassin (Team 13 – 1st place in Student Voice), as well as South Africa’s Chanille Viviers, Turkey’s Uğur Sarıçam and Saudi Arabia’s Maha Alghamdy who all competed as part of Team 14 which won 1st place in the Inclusion category, all brought their local knowledge to their tasks and used that to differentiate their submissions from other teams.

Transforming learning, today

Microsoft believes in the power of technology to help catapult MEA’s education sector into the digital era, and empower young people to become successful, capable and active contributors to the digital economy.

But while impressive progress has been made by many countries in MEA, skills gaps remain in key areas. Cloud, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things and other technologies have a shortage of professionals trained to exploit them properly. And so, we look to the field of education for answers. We call upon educators to supply us with the next generation of technological innovators

Technology companies also have a part to play. We must support educators as they shape our future workforce. It is for this reason that we are passionate about events like E2, where we celebrate innovative educators and acknowledge their efforts face-to-face, providing them a chance to collaborate with each other.

Says Khalil, “What’s great about this competition is it not only offers educators the opportunity to attend E2, but they will also be trained in the latest education technologies and join the Microsoft Educator Community.”

To join the Your #Road2E2 competition and receive the opportunity to attend the global event, educators can follow this link and follow the steps.

The competition runs until December 31, 2019.