Two world leading American companies, tech company Microsoft and pharma company MSD, have agreed on a partnership for the Nordic and Baltic markets. The aim of the partnership is to support health care, thereby benefitting patients as well as research. One possible field of cooperation is the use of cutting-edge technology, such as artificial intelligence, to support early diagnosis for i.e. lung cancer.
– The Nordic and Baltic states are at the forefront of technical and medical development. This makes the region ideal for leading in addressing the unmet need in health care, based on intelligent and trusted solutions, thereby creating new possibilities for health care providers and patients, says Mathias Ekman, Director Industry Solutions at Microsoft Western Europe.
– We wish to see life science and health in a broader perspective, where access to data and modern tech solutions will benefit all, including patients, doctors and nurses, the research community, and decision makers, says Jakob Tellgren, VP Nordics and Baltics, MSD (Merck, Sharp & Dohme).
– Health care providers in the different countries in the northern and Baltic region face similar challenges. Health care is in rapid transformation, but all patients don’t get to reap the benefits of this equally fast, or on equal terms. Bottlenecks and bureaucratic obstacles are there, and the cooperation between Microsoft and MSD is aiming at eliminating such obstacles, Mathias Ekman says.
– Being two companies with similar culture and shared values, together we can bring value to patients and to society at large. In the crossroads between our fields of expertise, we see opportunities for innovation, says Jakob Tellgren.
The cooperation is long term, with a first phase running for five years and an option for continuation. The two companies will initiate projects benefitting health care providers and patients.
- The partnership’s intention is to initiate projects with a clear value for the social ecosystem and for patients where the need is great, unsaturated, obvious or urgent.
- The partnership is initiated on equal terms between the parties.
- The partnership will initiate projects where the parties see common interests and clear benefits for the health economic ecosystem.
Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT” @microsoft) enables digital transformation for the era of an intelligent cloud and an intelligent edge. Its mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
For more than a century, MSD, a leading global biopharmaceutical company, has been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Through our prescription medicines and vaccines for both humans and animals, we collaborate with our customers and work in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions. Today, MSD continues to be at the forefront of research to promote the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and communities around the world. Our focus areas are cancer, vaccines and infectious diseases. We have 69,000 employees in 140 countries. In Sweden, we have 140 employees and are based in Hagastaden, Stockholm. In the US and Canada, we are called Merck. Merck & Co., Inc. is the legal name and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol ”MRK”.