Free update available for all Windows 10 devices, adds new features and enhances security for users at all levels
Redmond, Wash., 3 August 2016 – Microsoft Corp. announced that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is now available to all Windows 10 devices for free. Windows 10 continues to be the fastest growing version of Windows ever and is now running on more than 350 million devices.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update has all-new breakthrough features that bring Windows Ink to the mainstream; a faster, more accessible and more power-efficient Microsoft Edge browser; and advanced security features for consumers and enterprises. To help protect businesses from today’s modern threats, Microsoft also announced two new security features for enterprise customers – Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection and Windows Information Protection, formerly referred to as enterprise data protection.
“When we introduced Windows 10, our vision was not only to deliver the best and most secure version of the OS ever, it was also to create an experience that would keep getting better,” said Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Windows and Devices Group. “The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is a great example of this – and we look forward to building on it even further in the future.”
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is full of innovations that help people be more productive, stay safer online – and of course, have fun too.
- Windows Ink: An all-new experience that puts the power of Windows in the tip of a digital pen and enables people to write on a device as they would on paper. Integration with Office and other applications such as Microsoft Edge and Maps bring the power of inking everywhere.
- Increased power efficiency, extensions and accessibility with Microsoft Edge: The Anniversary Update includes even more power-saving improvements in Microsoft Edge, using fewer CPU cycles, consuming less memory, and minimizing the impact of background activity and peripheral content like Flash advertisements. Microsoft Edge Extensions, such as Pinterest’s “Pin it Button” and Amazon Assistant, will also be available in the Windows Store.
The new accessibility architecture for Microsoft Edge also now supports modern web standards, including HTML5, CSS3, and ARIA. With this update, page structure and content are exposed more clearly with assistive technology. Visual presentation of web pages in high contrast mode provides additional visual context, while preserving text contrast. Also, form entry when using keyboard navigation and screen readers improve the browsing experience for people of all abilities.
- More security features for the most secure Windows: For all Windows 10 customers, the Anniversary Update brings new improvements to Windows Hello and Windows Defender.
- With Windows Hello, customers can sign in with enterprise-grade security, password-free, to apps, and access supporting websites with biometric authentication using Microsoft Edge, the first and only browser to natively support biometrics.
- Windows Defender anti-malware improves with the option to automatically schedule periodic quick scans of your PC; and provide notifications and summaries when scans are complete and if scans find any threats.
Building on the existing security features in Windows 10, two new security benefits for enterprise customers include:
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, designed to detect, investigate and respond to malicious attacks and informed by the world’s largest array of sensors and expert advanced threat protection, including a team of expert security researchers at Microsoft.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update is available for Windows 10 users worldwide today via Windows Update. More information on how to manually obtain the update can be found at Microsoft’s Windows Experience blog. Watch the Anniversary Update’s 10 best features in action at https://youtu.be/80Qz0Gbjh6Q.
Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT” @Microsoft) is the leading platform and productivity company for the mobile-first, cloud-first world, and its mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
Established in 1993, Microsoft (Thailand) Limited aims to Make 70 Million Lives Better by enabling Thai people and businesses to realize their full potential through technology that transforms the way people work, play, and communicate. We offer software, services, and devices that deliver new opportunities, greater convenience, and enhanced value to people’s lives. Working with communities and the Thai government, Microsoft and its partners are committed to working closely with organizations and people across Thailand to fully harness the power of technology and innovation.
Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Thailand News Center (https://news.microsoft.com/th-th-stage/), or keep track of the latest updates through the Microsoft Thailand Twitter account (@MicrosoftTH).
For further information, (press) please contact:
Pornravee Suramool or Thornthawat Thongnab
Hill+Knowlton Strategies Thailand
Tel: 0-2627-3501 ext. 110, 206 or 081-735-9213, 083-225-4567