The Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) has announced a partnership with Microsoft which will change the way that volleyball is consumed, while heightening the fan experience during match days as well as in the digital space.
For fans, volleyball is a sport of love, passion and greatness. The sport touches lives daily, across the world, and the time spent consuming sports on mobile devices and through other digital channels such as social media, has significantly grown over the past years.
The digital revolution will unlock new opportunities and change the way volleyball will be watched and experienced. The Microsoft Sports Digital Platform empowers the FIVB to accelerate the value gained from experiencing the sport through digital means. In particular, it will allow for:
- New digital services to enable the FIVB to reach global audiences, generate digital experiences and create deeper levels of fan engagement on match days and throughout the year.
- The delivery of personalized content on demand, the development of new services and products to better promote the sport and increase volleyball’s presence in the digital space.
Speaking about the partnership, FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° states that “Innovation has been a key priority for us since I was first elected President in 2012. We believe that the FIVB and Microsoft have the same vision of leading the process of innovation and digital transformation in the world of sport.”
“This is a great opportunity for us to work together for the benefit of everyone, especially the global volleyball family, as we open an exciting new chapter in this digital age. While Microsoft can provide technological expertise, we want to show our vision to engage and expand our loyal volleyball fan base. By providing highly engaging digital content, which speaks directly to the specific interests of our fans, we believe we can significantly enhance fan experience all-season round.”
Sebastián Lancestremere, Sports Business, General Manager at Microsoft Corporation adds to this: “We are very proud of partnering with the FIVB to develop volleyball as a major world media and entertainment sport through world-class planning and organization of competitions. Technology will help the FIVB to adopt a new digital business model, leveraging digital fan engagement and their sponsorship strategy as well as new monetization models.
“Thanks to the Microsoft experience in similar sport organizations, such as LaLiga and Real Madrid, we will work with FIVB also to explore new innovation opportunities that will make volleyball more relevant to the global fan base.”
In the long term, the Microsoft Sports Digital Platform will enable the FIVB and its partners to:
- Offer new digital products, services and experiences for fans all over the planet, built on Microsoft Azure. This solution will be strengthened by content from the FIVB and amplified through the organization’s digital consumer channels.
- Understand fans and get insights on their needs and likes, through segmentation and profiling, which will attract new digital sponsors and fans to register and become subscribers to consume premium content through membership programs.
- Maximize the potential fan engagement on match days at the venue or on social media through video content and live-streaming.
The FIVB will launch its use of the Microsoft Sports Digital Platform in conjunction with the Volleyball Nations League (VNL), a revolutionary volleyball competition for men’s and women’s national teams that will raise the sport to a whole new level in terms of broadcasting and fan engagement.
For more information, please contact Marina Boter.