The application phase for the Microsoft Intelligent Manufacturing Award (MIMA) 2024 starts today. As in the previous year, companies from the entire economic region of Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) can apply for the „Oscar for the manufacturing industry“. Together with management consultants Roland Berger, we are looking for the most promising and innovative digital solutions for the manufacturing, process, construction and automotive industries.
For the fifth time, Microsoft is awarding the MIMA to forward-looking projects that make the best use of the opportunities offered by end-to-end digitalized value chains. The application examples can range from production to purchasing and supply chain management to engineering and operations.
We look forward to interesting thought leaders as well as new technologies and intelligent solutions that contribute to improvements in processes and products in the manufacturing industry, open up new sales opportunities or have a positive impact on sustainability and energy efficiency.
MIMA 2024: Five winners in individual categories and one overall winner
The patronage of the competition is shared by Marianne Janik, Chairwoman of the Management Board of Microsoft Germany, and Marcus Berret, Senior Partner and Global Managing Director at Roland Berger. Companies from the entire EMEA economic region can apply for the Microsoft Intelligent Manufacturing Award 2024. Last year’s 2023 winners came from four countries, while the finalists came from six. Industrial companies that submit their own solution or implement an industrial solution from a partner or startup are eligible to enter.
Awards are presented in five categories:
- Innovate! evaluates the application of new technologies to drive innovation. In this category, the implementation and/or application of cutting-edge technologies matters, for example for intelligent automation systems, data analysis solutions or edge computing.
- Scale! honors the growth potential and scalability in companies that are leading the way in terms of the scope of their value chains, their customers or their internal processes based on smart industry solutions at different levels of maturity.
- Add Value! recognizes efficiency as well as business process improvement. This category is about the added value of intelligent solutions from different angles, from efficiency gains and improvements in CAPEX or COGS to new sales potential.
- Disrupt! honors the digital transformation of the industrial value chain. In this category, we evaluate the potential of solutions to fundamentally change the value chains in a company or industry.
- Sustainability! recognizes sustainability as a central component of a solution. In this category, we evaluate the impact of a technology on the sustainability agenda of a company or industry.
If possible, the case studies submitted should cover all categories, as the overall winner will be the company that performs best in all five categories. Applications can be submitted on the MIMA website until December 8, 2023.
MIMA jury: Experts select the winners
After a preliminary selection, the jury will determine three finalists for each category by January 11, 2024, who will present their competition entry to the jury at the Pitch Day on February 8, 2024. The jury consists of high-ranking experts from industrial companies, universities, and technology and consulting firms:
- Nico Hartmann, Manufacturing Industry Lead, Microsoft
- Jochen Gleisberg, Senior Partner Operations, Roland Berger
- Dr. Joyce Gesing, CEO, SEVERIN Elektrogeräte GmbH
- Dr. Christof Bosbach, President of the Division Board, Diehl Metering GmbH
- Muntaser Kalahji, Chief Business Development Officer, PIF Projects
- Stephan Köhler, Managing Director, Gebr. Brasseler GmbH & Co. KG
- Prof. Dr. Oliver Niggemann, Institute for Automation Technology, Helmut Schmidt University, University of the Federal Armed Forces Hamburg
- Riccardo Picca, Executive Director, Global Operations Transformation, Sandvik Coromant
- Dirk Ramhorst, Chief Information Officer, Evonik Industries AG
- Arno Reich, Senior Vice President Trade Fair & Product-Management, Deutsche Messe AG
- Philipp Leutiger, Früherer Group Chief Digital Officer, Holcim
Winners of the Microsoft Intelligent Manufacturing Awards receive prizes that they can use for marketing activities, for example. In addition, the award winners and finalists will be admitted to the „MIMA Champions Circle“, where they will benefit from special networking opportunities and further training. The announcement of the winners and the presentation of the awards will take place during the Hannover Messe, which will be held from April 22 to 26, 2024.
More information about the Microsoft Intelligent Manufacturing Award 2024 can be found here.
An article by Paul Röhrs
Dir. Industry Advisor