What’s new with Microsoft 365? This page contains the latest news, images, videos and press materials.
Microsoft 365 Products and Services
The new Microsoft Whiteboard now offers a rich set of capabilities that bring visual collaboration to life in Teams, including collaboration cursors, more than 50 new templates, contextual reactions, and the ability to open existing boards and collaborate with external colleagues in Teams Meetings.
With Microsoft Teams Connect shared channels, multiple organizations can now work together as one team in a shared workspace for seamless collaboration. You can assign tasks, share documents and easily invite external members to join without the need to create a new team or switch tenants.
We are updating Outlook to allow you to RSVP to meetings and note whether you plan to join in person or virtually.
The front row feature brings the video gallery to eye level at the bottom of the screen so people in the meeting room can see remote colleagues in a more natural face-to-face interaction.
New Zebra Technologies and Microsoft partnership with the general availability of Teams Walkie Talkie app on a wide range of Zebra hand-held devices
Real-time personalization gives retailers the ability to offer more relevant options and makes it easier for customers to find what they’re looking for
While frontline workers say they feel more bonded to one another, most say culture and communication need to be better prioritized from the top
Between March 2020 and November 2021, the monthly use of Microsoft Teams on the frontline grew by 400% in the aggregate, with the most growth in healthcare, financial services and media and communications
Future of Productivity
Notes and Tasks
SharePoint & OneDrive
Work Trend Index
Yammer and Stream
COVID-19 and Hybrid Work Resources
- Envisioning Hybrid Work with Microsoft
- Navigating the complexities of hybrid work together
- Microsoft: Responding to COVID-19 together
- COVID-19 Business Resource Center on LinkedIn
What is Microsoft Viva?
Microsoft Viva is the first employee experience platform built for the digital era. Microsoft Viva brings together communications, knowledge, learning, resources and insights into an integrated employee experience that empowers people and teams to be their best, from anywhere. Microsoft Viva is powered by Microsoft 365 and experienced through Microsoft Teams, as well as other Microsoft 365 apps such as Outlook.
Research shows employees are happier when they carve out time for wellbeing, feel connected to their organization, have opportunities to learn and grow, and can get in a flow state. Microsoft Viva addresses all these needs by integrating solutions right where people work in Microsoft 365 and Teams, empowering employees both personally and professionally.
How is Microsoft Teams performing?
Over the last three years, thousands of organizations, small and large—including 93 of the Fortune 100—have discovered how Teams can be their hub for teamwork, helping them to stay connected and engaged. Industry-leading organizations are rolling out Teams enterprise-wide. Innovation is driving growth with larger deployments across our customers, Teams is now used by 124 organizations with more than 100K users, and nearly 3,000 organizations with more than 10K users. Accenture recently became the first organization to surpass half a million users, and we expanded our partnership with the NFL to bring their first-ever virtual NFL Draft to life.
With COVID-19 continuing to impact people and countries around the world, organizations and employees are transitioning to remote work and we have seen an unprecedented spike in Teams usage. Teams users generated more than 5 billion meeting minutes in a single day, and we are seeing increased usage intensity across the platform as people communicate, collaborate, and co-author content in Teams. Teams now has nearly 270 million monthly active users, which demonstrates the continued usage in the hybrid world.
We are leading in the new and growing enterprise phone category. Teams Phone has nearly 80M monthly active users with total calls surpassing 1B in a single month in Q4 for first time.
We’re providing critical infrastructure for the communities where we operate, and they are counting on us. Healthcare providers logged over 34 million Teams meetings and we are working alongside educators as they prepare for remote, hybrid, and in-person scenarios this Fall. More than 183,000 educational institutions and 150 million students and teachers around the world now rely on our tools – including Teams, Stream, OneNote, as well as Flipgrid – to prioritize student engagement and learning outcomes.
How is the Office 365 business performing?
Office 365 is used by organizations and people all over the world. Office 365 currently has more than 200 million commercial monthly active users and 47.5 million consumer subscribers. More details can be found on Microsoft’s earnings page.
How is the Microsoft 365 business performing?
Microsoft 365 users around the world generated more than 30 billion collaboration minutes in a single day as people communicated, collaborated and co-authored content across work, life and learning. Microsoft 365 daily collaboration minutes (DCM) metric defined as the sum of all minutes people spent in Microsoft 365 apps like Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, SharePoint, OneDrive and more. The SharePoint ecosystem is growing faster than ever, passing a new milestone with more than 200 million monthly active users in the cloud.
*We define Microsoft 365 Daily Collaboration Minutes (DCM) as the sum of all user minutes spent in a 24-hour period across meetings, chat, calls, document collaboration and co-authoring, and other activities across M365 apps during the last quarter. It includes active usage in Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, SharePoint, OneDrive, Stream and Yammer. Teams and Stream usage is calculated across platforms. All other active app usage is calculated for Windows 10 only.
What is the difference between Office 2019, Office 365, and Office on the web?
- Office 365 is a user-based subscription service powered by the Microsoft cloud. It provides access to a suite of services beyond what the on-premises version has and receives feature updates on an ongoing basis. It includes the most productive, most secure, and up-to-date features.
- Office 2019 (for both Windows and Mac) is a one-time purchase and does not receive feature updates after purchase. Office 2019 includes a meaningful subset of features found in Office 365, but it is not part of Office 365. Office 2019 will receive quality and security patch updates as required.
- Office on the web is a free version of Office that you can use in a web browser. All you need is to sign up for a Microsoft account with a new or existing email address. Try it here.
What is changing with Office 365?
On April 21, 2020, Office 365 became Microsoft 365. Information on changes to Office subscriptions for small and medium-sized businesses is available here. Information on changes to consumer subscriptions of Office 365 is available here.
- Office 365 Personal is now Microsoft 365 Personal.
- Office 365 Home is now Microsoft 365 Family.
- Office 365 Business Essentials is now Microsoft 365 Business Basic.
- Office 365 Business Premium is now Microsoft 365 Business Standard.
- Microsoft 365 Business is now Microsoft 365 Business Premium.
- Office 365 Business and Office 365 ProPlus are now Microsoft 365 Apps.
What Office 365 plan names aren’t changing? Are perpetual editions of Office impacted?
The following Office 365 plans will have no changes:
- Office 365 for Enterprise
- Office 365 for Firstline Workers
- Office 365 for Education
- Office 365 for Government
Perpetual editions of Office, such as Office 2019, Office Home & Student 2019, and Office Home & Business 2019 will see no name change.
What is Microsoft 365?
Microsoft 365 is Microsoft’s flagship productivity cloud, across work and life. Designed to help you achieve more with innovative Office apps, intelligent cloud services, and world-class security, Microsoft 365 is a cloud-based, subscription suite of applications and services, with offerings for enterprise, SMB, education and personal users. To learn more, visit Microsoft 365.
- Microsoft 365 enterprise offerings bring together Office 365, Windows 10 and Enterprise Mobility + Security, delivering a complete, intelligent and secure solution to empower employees. It represents a fundamental shift in how we will design, build and go to market to address our customers’ needs for a modern workplace.
- Microsoft 365 Business plans are solutions designed for small and midsize businesses (SMB), bringing together the best-in-class productivity and collaboration capabilities of Office 365 with device management and security solutions to safeguard business data. Microsoft 365 Business is delivered as a subscription-based service that is designed to be managed by you or a trusted partner – so you can save on capital expenses, scale as you grow, and get the IT expertise you need to run your business better.
- Microsoft 365 for Firstline Workers, called Microsoft 365 F1 or F3, helps organizations connect their Firstline Workers with the rest of the company and close long-standing technology gaps that often separate these workers from the tools, resources, and expertise they need to do their best work. Organizations are extending digital transformation efforts to all levels of the organization. They are prioritizing the employee experience of all workers and empowering their Firstline Workers with intuitive and secure apps and services that enable continuous productivity, simplify communication, and support greater self-service. Microsoft is in a unique position to help companies of all sizes to help employees work more simply and productively, solve problems, and collaborate with a shared purpose.
- Microsoft 365 Personal and Family are productivity subscriptions for your whole life that empower you to make the most of your time, bringing together the Office apps you know and love into a complete personal productivity solution. The new Microsoft 365 Personal and Family subscriptions add more experiences and value to help you become a better writer, presenter, designer, manager of your finances and deepen your connection to the people in your life.
- Microsoft 365 Education offers free access to Microsoft 365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, Sway, etc.) and Microsoft Teams for Education to schools as part of the company’s ongoing support for educators, especially during remote and hybrid learning. To date 183,000 learning institutions in 175 countries are using Microsoft Teams for Education, which was built for educators and students to serve as a digital classroom hub with AI-powered videoconferencing, document collaboration, teacher controls, accessibility, and security features. You can read more about these features here.
Why did you rebrand Office 365 to Microsoft 365?
Microsoft 365 is an evolution of Office 365. Over the years, Microsoft 365 has helped people stay productive and secure at work. Now, we’re extending Microsoft 365 to help people be more productive and secure across their whole life.
How does Office fit into Microsoft 365? Will I still be able to use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint?
The Office suite is core to the Microsoft productivity experience, and that’s not changing. But over the last several years, our cloud productivity offering has grown well beyond what people traditionally think of as “Office.” Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are more important than ever before. But in Microsoft 365 we’re breathing new life into these apps with the help of the cloud and AI, and we’re adding new, born-in-the-cloud experiences like Teams, Stream, Forms, and Planner. All of this is underpinned by a set of common services that keep your data safe and secure. It’s Office and a whole lot more.
What is Microsoft 365 Personal and Family?
Microsoft 365 Personal and Family are productivity subscriptions for your whole life that empower you to make the most of your time, bringing together the Office apps you know and love into a complete personal productivity solution. The new Microsoft 365 Personal and Family subscriptions add more experiences and value to help you become a better writer, presenter, designer, manager of your finances and deepen your connection to the people in your life.