Japan, April 2, 2014 – Microsoft has announced that Resona Holdings, Inc., which oversees the operations of Resona Bank and other group subsidiaries, has migrated 30,000 to Windows 8 and Microsoft Office 2013. Resona Holdings completed the migration of approximately 30,000 by the end of February 2014, well before the April end of support for Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003. This 30,000-unit deployment of Windows 8 and Office 2013 is one of the largest ever made in Japan.
In November 2012, Resona Holdings, which oversees the operations of Resona Bank, Saitama Resona Bank, The Kinki Osaka Bank and other group companies, announced its intention to become a “true retail bank that is highly trusted by our customers and the local community” in a Business Revitalization Plan that put priority on leveraging comprehensive capabilities,promoting cross-selling and reducing operational costs.
The highlights of Resona Holdings’ migration to Windows 8 and Office 2013 are as follows:
- Significant cost savings by replacing only about half of the group’s client PCs with new PCs and continuing to use PCs that had been in use for only two years by upgrading their software
- Utilization of BitLocker drive encryption technology available in Windows 8 Enterprise to create a stronger security environment and maintain compliance
- With desktop virtualization technology to migrate business applications in April–August 2013, and with Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (SCCM) to carry out Windows 8 policy design and system configuration, successive migration of approximately 30,000 completed by the end of February 2014 after test installation in two branches
- Adoption of SCCM and Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (SCEP) at the same time as migration to Windows 8, use of SCCM to enable remote automated software installation and dramatically reduce the time required for large-scale upgrades, and after migration, use of SCCM and SCEP for PC monitoring, software and patch distribution and security, thereby enabling simple, low-cost client environment management
“We needed to keep the costs of migrating to a new operating system down by making effective use of the latest system,” said Tetsuya Shiratori, Executive Officer and General Manager, Information Technology Planning Division of Resona Holdings, Inc. “We decided to migrate straight to Windows 8, and there was no opposition to the approach of leveraging the latest products to boost efficiency. In addition to the cost savings resulting from the use of new standard Windows 8 functions, and the great usability, including boot speed, we also managed the whole migration operation with unprecedented speed using SCCM.”
Microsoft Japan will continue to support Resona Holdings’ IT systems environment as its IT partner.
Microsoft products adopted by Resona Holdings in conjunction with migration:
- Windows 8 Enterprise
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013
- Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection
Additional points of note:
Microsoft, Windows and BitLocker are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in USA and other countries.
The official name of Windows is “Microsoft Windows Operating System”.
Other company and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.