Asia Pacific & Singapore, 31 March 2021 – Microsoft today announced the top 12 World Finalists of the 2021 Imagine Cup competition, including 5 teams from Asia, Team Intelli-Sense (India), Team DataMasker (China), Team Radio Virtual Radiologist (Nepal), Team ProTag (New Zealand) and Team Threeotech (Thailand). This was following an exciting first round of the World Finals where close to 40 teams gave a 3-minute project pitch followed by a demo to compete for a spot in the second round of the World Finals to advance to the Championships in May.
This year’s 2021 Imagine Cup virtual competition saw tens of thousands of teams from 163 countries using innovative technologies, like AI, Power Platform, and Big Data to develop their ideas into impactful and inspiring technological solutions that make a difference. World Finalists had to submit innovations in one of the four competition categories: Earth, Education, Healthcare, and Lifestyle.
All five advancing teams from Asia impressed the judges with their use of Azure technology, diversity and inclusive design, and potential to make an impact in their selected category. The five Asia teams will be competing alongside seven other teams from Europe, United States and Africa for a spot at the World Championships held in May 2021. The team that emerges as champion will be awarded the Imagine Cup trophy along with USD75,000 and a mentoring session with Satya Nadella, Chief Executive Officer, Microsoft Corp.
Here’s our finalists from Asia:
- Team Intelli-Sense (India): Under the Healthcare category, Intelli-sense developed a solution, “Vision” that seeks to leverage cutting-edge technologies, to provide a sense of vision for the visually impaired by providing solutions to help them perceive their surrounding in real-time.
- Team DataMasker (China): Under the Lifestyle category, DataMasker developed a solution, “WellMask”, an Artificial Intelligence social mask built to enhance social interaction. It is integrated with technologies to support “real-time speech transcription”, “intention extraction” and “emotion recognition”.
- Team Threeotech (Thailand): Under the Lifestyle category, Threeotech developed a solution, “JustSigns”, a web application for content creators to create sign language captions to improve the media accessibility for their hearing-impaired viewers.
- Team Virtual Radiologist (Nepal): Under the Earth category, Virtual Radiologist developed a solution, “Pico Sat”, a miniature version of an environmental satellite that utilizes the Azure platform and PowerBI. It aims to provide information about your environment – altitude, temperature, humidity, pressure, dust and pressure level of present time – be it a small room or open space or betterment of Earth’s climate.
- Team ProTag (New Zealand): Under the Earth Category, Protag developed a solution, “ProTag”, a smart ear tag for livestock that uses technologies like mixed reality, IoT and Azure to detect the early onset of illness in real-time. This is part of their efforts to inculcate sustainable farming, lower costs and increase animal welfare along with providing farmers with a peace of mind.
Held annually since 2003, the Microsoft Imagine Cup is the world’s premier student technology competition, affectionately known by participants as the “Olympics of student technology competitions”. This year’s Imagine Cup encouraged participants to “Dream it. Build it. Live it” in order to create applications that shape how individuals live, work and play and through their creativity, passion and knowledge of technology. For more information about Imagine Cup, please visit https://www.imaginecup.com/.
Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT” @microsoft) enables digital transformation for the era of an intelligent cloud and an intelligent edge. Its mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
For more information, please contact:
|Microsoft Asia Pacific
Simran Singh Sethi
|Edelman (Partner Agency for Microsoft Asia)