Taiwanese beef noodle soup
2 lb beef shank, cut against the grain into 1.5-inch pieces
¾ c soy sauce
½ c tomato paste
½ c black bean sauce
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
1-2 heads garlic to taste, peeled and smashed
1 knob of ginger, sliced
3 Tbsp five-spice powder
3 c chicken stock
1 package (16 oz) thin white noodles
Chili garlic sauce, to taste (optional)
1. First, blanch the beef: Prepare a large pot of boiling water (enough to cover the beef), add the beef to the pot, and then boil covered for 5-10 minutes.
2. Remove the beef, and set it aside. Discard the water to remove the froth. Wash the beef under water, and return it to the empty pot.
3. Over medium heat, brown the beef and add the soy sauce, tomato paste, and black bean sauce.
4. Once the beef pieces are coated, add the onion, garlic, ginger, and five-spice powder and sauté.
5. To braise the beef, add the chicken stock, and simmer for 2 hours (until tender).
6. Prepare the noodles in boiling water per the package’s instruction. Drain and place them in a bowl.
7. Spoon the beef stock with beef and vegetables over the noodles (optionally adding chili garlic sauce to taste), and taste the love!